About the department
The Department of Mathematics was established in 1964. The Honours stream was introduced in 1985. The departmental library has a collection of 550 books. The total number of computers available in the department is 9. Internet facility is available. The department has a Numerical Laboratory as needed for the syllabus. Mathematics is a set of ideas and techniques that enable us to understand, analyze and solve problems faced in the real world. It has scientific precision. It also has aesthetic pleasure that fascinates and inspires those who understand it. Our graduates have ventured into diverse careers since they are recognised for logical and rigorous thinking. The department has four full time teachers and one full contractual teacher. The good news for the department as in this year the department has got the sanction from the university of Calcutta to introduce the Post Graduation curriculum.
Mission and Vision
- To produce quality mathematical sciences researches; provide teaching and extension services; and enhance the development of mathematics faculty of other Higher Educational Institutions through continuous upgrading of Department’s various curricular programs, faculty force, facilities, and short term training programs.
- Making UG/PG students to develop the mathematical thinking an applying it to solve complex realistic problems, designing mathematical modeling for systems involving global level technology.
- Our mission is to produce significant research, to provide high quality undergraduate, graduate and professional programs of study which attract the best students, and to attend to the mathematical needs of the University and the community.
- The department mission is to provide students with a number of degree programs and a wide spectrum of courses, and to offer them a rigorous training that enables them to pursue UG / PG or work in jobs that require a high degree of mathematical skills.
- To develop graduates who have logical thinking and scientific research skills in mathematics, be actively, visibly and notably involved in research at the forefront of the mathematical fields in which it has strength and expertise, offer postgraduate training, up to doctoral level, in its chosen fields of research expertise, at UG / PG level, engage in mathematical training in support of its own and other academic programmes of the Institute & that of the university.
- To strive to provide excellent teaching, research, and service to the university community and to the world in the application of mathematics to other disciplines as mathematical background is essential for each & every subject in this world.
- The department would like to have a Mathematics Club, to promote more mathematical knowledge applicable to Science, Engineering & Technology among the students.
More information about the department of Mathematics : Go